Video Game History

So what was your first console…did you get home and rush to your playstation or super nintendo…
Did you know there were consoles before that?

Check out this article from ‘theguardian.com
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2017/feb/24/10-most-influential-games-consoles-in-pictures

Did you know…the first commercial arcade video game was released in 1971 by Nutting Associates (sense of humor maybe?) called Computer Space. Later, Atari released ‘Pong’ in 1972.

And this was a controller for which popular console? Hint:This console found its ways into home during the late 70’s and early 80’s

And no…this is not @Gunny’s pleasure stick.

And now, controller wise, we have almost limitless options to controller styles and functionalities…

So no matter where in history you started you gaming ventures, its always good to sit back and reflect. Check out and remember how far gaming has come through various the struggles and limitations. Before, you could expect console ‘life’ to be 6 - 10 years before hearing or seeing the next greatest thing.

Now companies can not wait to get the next product out. I implore you to think about this…Right now this very second…many companies are developing products that are STILL limited by the technology. So our engineers and designers are developing beyond their hardware available limits. Now patience and quality testing is definitely another topic by themselves, but the fact that we are experiencing those types of limits…with how quickly technology continues to develop…is astonishing.

Imagine where history will continue to take us and hopefully we will never forget the lessons and joys it has taught all of us.

3 Likes

I can’t remember if I had my Commodore or Atari first. I had them both at the same time.

While my friends were going crazy over Pong on Atari I was playing strip poker on the Commodore.

A deviant from an early age, I knew I liked you

I got an NES with Mario/Duck Hunt when I was about 8 or so. I didn’t play any strip poker

2 Likes

Pong before the Intellivision and Atari 2600 came into my home.

@TEXENT it was sooooo hot…

https://goo.gl/images/6Z1Q0Y

1 Like

Omg that’s awesome. Idk what I expected lol

Intelevison or Atari for me. Cant remember which came first. The Intelevsion ended up at my grandmas house for when we were over there. Atari was at home but got replaced by the NES when it came out.

Atari was my first console, along with the Coleco mini stand up arcade PacMan machine. Not long after I had a Tandy Color Computer to learn programming my own stuff. A friend had the C-64, we used to play the hell out of a game it had where you ran for President.

1 Like

to add. we also had an IBM 8086 which I gamed on. So vividly remember the days of using a mem doubler and making a boot disk for each game specifically. Man, those were the days.

I had a Atari 2600 was my first. Then I went to the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum 2, Commodore Amiga and then Playstation 1 and 2, XB360, PS3, XB1 and PS4.

1 Like

My fav game on the Commodore 64

Atari, Commodore, Sega, PS1, PS2, 360, PS4 XB1

For me it was Atari 2600, NES, SEGA, Playstation, Playstation 2, Xbox, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Xbox One, Playstation 4, Wii U.

We are not going to mention the handhelds.

Had a NES when I was 3 or so. I remember trying to “help” my dad play games. Could play mario and duck hunt a bit. Also, that rock controller looks uncomfortable as FUCK.

Atari all the way! Asteroids dig dug missile command. Etc !