Reapercast 100Th Episode! January 2nd 2019 | Subscribe | Past Episodes

The Last Kingdom

viking

@D1G1TALC1PHERS told me about The Last Kingdom (in Discord Chat). It’s similar to Vikings, Saxons vs Danes. So far I’ve watched 3 episodes and it’s really good. Check this show out if you’re looking for something to fill the gap on Game of Thrones and Vikings. It’s on Netflix.

@Sniper_T1 - this is what I was talking about in Monday Night Halo.

The year is 872, and many of the separate kingdoms of what we now know as England have fallen to the invading Danes, leaving the great kingdom of Wessex standing alone and defiant under the command of King Alfred. Against this turbulent backdrop lives our hero, Uhtred. Born the son of a Saxon nobleman, he is captured by the Danes and raised as one of their own. Forced to choose between the country of his birth and the people of his upbringing, his loyalties are ever tested. What is he? Saxon or Dane? On a quest to reclaim his birthright, Uhtred must tread a dangerous path between both sides if he is to play his part in the birth of a new nation and, ultimately, recapture his ancestral lands.

The setting is a historical one of England roughly around 800-900 A.D. The conflict involves the vikings who are eager to take more ground and the native English peoples or more correctly the Saxons who desire to hold the ground they have and repel the Vikings from England. The main protagonist is a fictional character although his birth place and enemies who contest him; Ubba (Ubbe Lothbrok) and Guthrum are real figures.

I really liked it. Second series will hit in 2017.

Looks and sounds interesting. Might have to check it out.

If you like GOT or Vikings you will like this.

Not quite up to GoT, but better than Vikings

I think I like it just as much as GOT, if not more. Not much filler. It’s get straight to the point. I was pissed when I realized it was only 8 episodes.

Is the Ragnar the same person that is on Vikings?

My inner 13 year old forces me to like GoT more as Last Kingdom has no gratuitous nudity. Boobies > no Boobies

On another note, anyone watched Marco Polo on Netflix? Its in the same vein … completely historically inaccurate, but very similar to the previously mentioned shows + it has kung fu.

Yea that has been the number 1 question asked. Is there nudity? Yes there is. I can’t remember if there were nipples but there is boobs and butts, even male butts for Lala.

Added to my list.

Seen Season 1.
Mean to watch the Thousand Eyes one-off and then Season 2.

Fairly sure a few others have seen it (at least).

I’ve watched both seasons of Marco Polo and they’re great. Kublai Kahn is bad ass.

It’s pretty decent what i’ve seen so far… I wouldn’t say its quite as good as Vikings but its close.

I’m half way through season 2 and didnt know there was a hundred eyes special, good call

It will be added to my list tonight. Can’t wait, I really enjoyed Marco Pollo. Gonna have to get the wife to take a break from her Dr. Who binge watching though.

Dr. Who is much better than any of the previously mentioned shows. I like and have watched them all, but Dr. Who is better.

I finally got her to keep watching and get her to David Tennant. After that she has really started to like it. Currently waiting for her to catch up.

I used to love it but now I find myself criticising the simplicity and predictability of a majority of the episodes.
I think I just want it to be darker and more complex (though obviously it then becomes less family friendly…)

Thats what Torchwood was supposed to be…