Cyberpunk 2077 Is "Far, Far Bigger Than The Witcher 3" Says Dev

Developer CD Projekt Red has described it’s upcoming sci-fi role-playing game Cyberpunk 2077 as much larger than it’s recently released fantasy RPG, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Speaking to MCV UK in an interview, visual effects artist Jose Teixeira said, “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before… far, far bigger.”

Teixeira went on to explain how development on The Witcher 3 helped the team as it worked Cyberpunk 2077.

“The Witcher helped Cyberpunk quite a bit, because the game got so big and so complex that it really taught us,” he said. “We really didn’t know what was going to happen. If anything, working on The Witcher 3 was a really good and often brutal learning experience. Cyberpunk is going to benefit greatly from it. I can almost guarantee it.”

Cyberpunk 2077 was first revealed in May 2012, although it did not have a name at the time. CD Projekt Red confirmed that the game would be based on Mike Pondsmith’s Cyberpunk pen-and-paper RPG system. The Cyberpunk 2077 title was announced in October 2012. Details on the game have been scarce, although CD Projekt Red did say that it was not planning to discuss the game until 2017 at the earliest, choosing to focus on The Witcher 3 instead.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was released in May this year and was highly praised in GameSpot’s review, where it scored a ten out of ten. Following the game’s launch, CD Projekt Red has released several free DLC packs and has announced an expansion titled Hearts of Stone.

My thoughts:

This is the first I have seen of this game. I really hope it is good. Cyperpunk is one of my favorite genres.

1 Like

Never heard of this, but I’m interested. Good find

The screen shot has me interested in game. Witcher 3 is large isn’t it?

I’m not sure Large describes Witcher 3 well enough.

1 Like

Yea loved witcher 3 and it’s huge and stuff to do everywhere. This looks great, I also love this style.

I’ve been looking forward to this game, but larger than witcher?!?!?! i dunno if i can take it. Of course it might be easier for me with out all the stupid dungeons and dragons crap

1 Like

I think when you switch from open fields and villages to “Cyberpunk” cities you really don’t have much choice but to make it bigger or make it linear. I don’t think linear games really work anymore, at least RPG games. Of course I am taking bigger as in scale. Not as in content. It could just have more content and I am cool with that also.

Besides Deus Ex there really hasn’t been a good Cyberpunk game, that I can think of. Especially a open world RPG. I hope it is dark. The picture looks very Blade Runner ish. Hate that it isn’t really gonna be talked about until 2017.

Here is the teaser trailer from 2013. I had not seen it posted yet.

The Hype was real then, and it’s real now. Can’t wait for this game!

3 Likes

yeah, witcher was… too big for me… so many side quests… overwhelming… hopefully they just mean bigger as in the detail of the cities… vertical scale and that thing.

i want augments HAHA

2 Likes

See what I’m scared of is that they pull an Assassin’s Creed Unity. That game had so much side crap crammed into it it just wasn’t fun. You spend all your time just walking/climbing around collecting insignificant shit all for some bullshit reward or a pointless trophy. The fuckin game was broken and there was just way too much senseless crap to do. The world seemed small because there was always something to find in some corner. The story didn’t hold me, which the only reason why I know how that game ended was because my cousin beat the main story line without doing ANY of the side shit. It still sucked.

Now if this game is bigger in scale strictly, then I’ll be ok with that. It looks good but I’m not interested in just being teased with a still picture for over 2 years. When they give me more details and videos then I’ll start caring. Till then I’ll be getting exited for my Kingdom Hearts 3 and really for now that’s it.

Being a RPG made by the same people that did The Witcher it is gonna have a lot of side quest. Not collecting quest like AC but a lot of side quest. One thing I like about CD Projekt is that there games have great stories with adult subject matter. I have high hopes for this one but will forget about it before 2017.

2 Likes