My Journey on Cutting The Cord

I still think so.

Yeah its pretty simple to use. Plus you can set up profiles and each profile can have there fav shows/channels and list of dvr’d items.

Still using it. Wife complained at first but it is pretty easy. Had to break down and move up a package so she could have the Hallmark channel but I got the MLB Network out of the deal so not bad. Only problem is local channels will need an antenna. Got a cheap one to stick on the wall behind the tv. Problem solved.

I went with Vue and it’s been good. Wife and kid didn’t care as their shows are all there. We get local channels except for Fox. I like the cost of it more than cable.

My turn to batter up. Starting to look at all the options as we are about to have a house off campus that we will be at part time. That way any channels I don’t get on campus, I will be able to get streaming wise. So many options out there now with YouTube, Hulu, Sling, DIrectTv Now, and Vue. I will read through the thread again but looking to have up to 4 streams and potential DVR. Without in depth so far, I like the Vue option as I can add RedZone during football season and in my area I will get Comcast Philadelphia giving me my Philly sports teams (currently I subscribe to all the league streaming packages).

Cable company in that area has up to a gig but with data caps. Phone company has fiber in with gig and IPTV options coming. Draw back on the phone company is 50 down is the max until they upgrade up to a gig but no data caps with them.

That’s the one I liked the most as well. The DVR and the local channels are the main selling points for me. Just wish there was an XBox app…

Seriously though, I’d rather just fire up the XBox for all.

Only issue I see with Vue so far is in my area (which even in PA is NYC) is NBC and FOX are not local.

I bought a $30 antenna that gets all my local except one. Works great.

i am doing the same. Using an antenna. Want to hook it up to plex to use the DVR but need to get a capture card.

I need to get my antenna installed properly so I can get those channels, because the only local I can get through Vue is CBS. I have on demand for the rest, but that only goes so far in terms of getting shows I want to watch. Probably need to get on that this week, because I have the rest of the setup (capture card, plex, etc).

1 Like

I have been happy with Vue and will be adding RedZone for football season. Am able to use it easily at the two places I live.

The DVR has some issues to me but I am used to using a Tivo. Unless you use a Playstation you can’t see the commercials you are fast forwarding through so it becomes a guessing game when to stop. The interface in the DVR (with show episodes) is confusing to me in my few weeks of using it and am guessing it will take time to adjust. I have had an issue today where I went to pick up where I left off with a show and something entirely different was playing (though the show I wanted to watch was listed).

Despite that still working for me.

And…just read the article that I linked and this concerns me…

Playstation Vue, on the other hand, may have gained more locals this week, but it also recently lost all Sinclair-owned local stations, and before that, Viacom channels. While Sony says it doesn’t have plans to shut down Vue, it has also made statements about its “uncertain” future, which concerned its user base.

I am using VuE on a fire TV device and can see the commercials as I fast forward through them. It become still screenshots when I get up to 8x but can still see them.

I am surprised they are lacking in subs. Might be early adopters jumping around as new services come out. For me Vue still provides the value based on channels my family watches vs price.

I think being called Playstation has hurt them majorly. People that aren’t gamers likely see Sling or YouTube and think that you need a Playstation to use their service. From my research they clearly were the best service to me and even allowed the most simultaneous streams.

1 Like

Yes I agree with this. The naming has hurt them.

1 Like

I looked at Vue but passed since it’s not available on XBox (yeah, I know). We have 3 XBoxs in the house and this would eliminate the need for one more device and one more remote.

Also, the XBox controls the sound for all video to the home theater. Getting a roku or firestick would bypass that Fiber connection to the receiver.

It’s a valid complaint. Many of the TV providers are available on both, so Sony needs to quit worrying about their gaming division, and get an Xbox app.

It also needs to be named either Sony Vue, or Vue TV. Drop the Playstation naming convention.

1 Like

So, I decided to pick up this antenna last week, and installed it this weekend:

Holy shit. I went from only picking up the PBS channels in the area clearly while my last antenna was mounted on the edge of my roof (which can be picked up easily with a tin can and a string, TBH) to picking up everything in the area but one religious channel in the area that’s extremely low powered while just on a 12 foot post to test it out. I don’t know if it will pull off the supposed 150 mile range, but it picked up channels 50 miles away easier than my supposed 70 mile antenna. Very few glitches, and we’ve run the gamut in terms of weather the past few days.

Now I have my antenna hooked to an HDHomerun Connect Quatro that’s on my network, with a Plex server set up to handle tuning and DVR. Between this and PSVue with the sports pack for Redzone, I’m ready for football season.

2 Likes

Thought about trying one of these myself. Can I put it outside and connect it where the cable use to come in and split to all the tvs in the house?