Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Mega Thread

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

After a leaked listing appeared on retailer Target’s website over the weekend, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has today announced that the sequel to 2014’s critically acclaimed Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will be releasing this August as a Play Anywhere title on the Xbox One and Windows 10.

Titled Middle-earth: Shadow of War, the game promises to build on the “award-winning” Nemesis system found in Shadow of Mordor, with the player’s actions now shaping the environment and the characters in the world.

In Middle-earth: Shadow of War™, players wield a new Ring of Power and confront the deadliest of enemies, including Sauron and his Nazgul, in a monumental battle for Middle-earth. The open-world action-adventure game is brought to life through the expansion of the award-winning Nemesis System. The robust personalization from the first game is now applied to the entire world where the environments and characters are all shaped by player actions and decisions, creating a personal world unique to every gameplay experience.

You can view the announcement trailer below:

Middle-earth: Shadow of War will be available on the Xbox One and Windows 10 beginning August 25th.

1 Like

Day one purchase for me without a doubt. Loved the first game, so more of the same - let alone improved - is welcomed.

1 Like

Will be keeping an eye on this one. First one was a great game. Although I hope they turn down the respawn timer cause having to kill the same damn orc a million times cause another keeps poping up to take the previous place.

Also was not a big fan of the bow mechanics.

1 Like

I also enjoyed this game and once it went on sale it was awesome! $30 for game plus all DLC is great. Hopefully they’ll have more than just mordor to hack your way thru.

Saw some vids for this…you can fight in minith tilith and gondor for sure. This also releases for the ps4 In august correct? Looks pretty stellar. Heard good things about the first but never checked it out…

The fist is truly a great game. Can get a little repetitive as a hack n slash, but you can get it for cheap w/DLC now.

1 Like

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Introducing-the-Market/td-p/1611183

Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Introducing the Market – Announcement

The innovative Nemesis System created unique personal stories through procedurally-generated enemies who remember every encounter and are differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Middle-earth: Shadow of War expands this innovation with the introduction of followers who bring about entirely new stories of loyalty, betrayal and revenge. The Nemesis System is also expanded to create a unique personal world through Nemesis fortresses, which allows players to utilize different strategies to conquer dynamic strongholds and create personalized worlds with their unique Orc army.

An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor. There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store).

Through the Market, players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles (accessed only with an internet connection).

https://rnmiz43724.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/36047i3E55E80B8AABE9AE/image-size/original?v=1.0&px=-1

• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.

To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:

• Defeating Treasure Orcs
• Destroying Gear for Mirian
• Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
• Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game

Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:

• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.

Please note: No content in the game is gated by Gold. All content can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.

What is Mirian and how do I earn it?
Mirian is a form of in-game currency that players earn by playing the game. Along with Gold, Mirian can be used to purchase Loot Chests and War Chests from the Market. Mirian can be acquired by:

Defeating Treasure Orcs
Destroying Gear for Mirian
Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
What is Gold and how do I earn it?
Gold is a form of in-game currency awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased for real money through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet. Along with Mirian, Gold can be used to purchase Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts from the Market.
What can I get with Gold?
Along with Mirian, players can use Gold to purchase Loot Chests that contain Gear for Talion (weapons and armor), War Chests that provide Orcs for your army of followers and Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
Do I have to pay for Gold?
No, Gold is awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet using real money. Everything a player can buy with Gold can also be earned in the game over time for free, but Gold gives players the option to acquire these items faster. No Gold purchases are necessary to enjoy the complete game experience.

What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?
By simply engaging with the world and playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of War, you earn items like Gear for Talion and unique Orcs for your army. These are the same items that are found in the Market within Loot Chests and War Chests. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses.

Does Gold give me an advantage in the game?
No, Gold does not give you any advantage over other players. A player who invests enough time can progress the same amount and have access to the same content as a player who purchases Gold. Gold is not required to progress or advance in the game at all.

Are there unique items in the market purchased using Gold that you can’t get through normal play?
No, all of the aforementioned items can be earned playing through the game. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately.
How much does Gold cost?
Prices for Gold will be communicated at a later date.

This loot chest idea is getting out of hand and really turning me off newer games.

3 Likes

At least they say all the same content is available in-game.
At that point I think this model only really kills PvP, since you have to invest to compete.
PvE should be fine, so long as you don’t mind a longer grind.

First sniff any game gives off of being pay-to-win, I’m out. Fuck that noise, no matter how much of a hard-on I have for the IP.

I don’t plan to play any PVP in this game so it doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Agreed, I have no issue with this model as long as I can play the game to story completion. Looks like you can still earn gold thru the game, just need to grind a bit. Perfectly fine with me as I don’t play that model.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Introduces New Tribe, Theme and More

With October a couple months away, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Monolith Productions want players to feel the hype for Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Though dancing Uruks from Gamescom are interesting, new trailers and screenshots take the cake. The first trailer introduces fans to the Machine Tribe. They’ll beat you, grind you and smash you into a pulp. Check them out below.

In this next trailer, fans will get to hear the official theme song for the game. “Fires of War” was written and composed by both Nathan Grigg and Kelli Schaefer. The somber tone provides an interesting vibe that offers a different approach from the epic sounds fans are accustomed to. Nonetheless, the trailer and lyrics are below.

Stone by stone
Cracked, crushed, fallen
Beauty burned, erased
But not forgotten

I’ll take your melodies
May your last breath
Fill the air with embers
I inhale

In their blood I will stand
Let the waning light of man
Cast my shadow on the fires of war

Till our time burns away
Till our embers fade to grey

My grief is swollen
In rusty chains
Tethered to the killing wheel
Sun up, sun down, sun up, sun down, again

One burning candle
One wind whipped flame
I carry in my teeth like an animal
Vengeance my strength

In their blood I will stand
Let the waning light of man

Till our time burns away
Till our embers fade to grey

Last but not least, checkout new screenshots showcasing Balrog, Gorgoroth & Zog below.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is set to release on October 10th.

I am intrigued with the whole idea of building up your army and seeing them in battle.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War developer Monolith released a new video gameplay stream and trailer for the upcoming sequel. The video gameplay stream shows spy infiltrations, spy chiefs, orc pitfights, and pitched battles.

The video stream is from Twitch, and features Jared Rabago, the Twitch host, Bob Roberts, the design director, and Ellie Knapp, a quality assurance analyst.

The trailer is titled Friend or Foe, and is a teaser trailer to the full version expected on September 18th.

Fortresses will fall. Powers will rise. Your choices will decide their fate. In shadowofwar, Nothing Will Be Forgotten. Experience the full-length trailer on September 18.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War is expected to release on October 10th on Xbox One and Windows 10, with an Xbox One X update expected when the system launches on November 7th.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War’s nemesis system has received an upgrade since its last outing in Shadow of Mordor. Monolith’s Design Director Bob Roberts and QA Analyst Ellie Knapp took to the stage at EGX 2017 to give another demonstration of the capabilities of this system.

In the case of this fortress assault, upon entering the army screen, players can choose to hunt down war chiefs ahead of time to make the battle easier or to send friendly followers to infiltrate the enemy ranks as a spy. As players win and lose, they’ll create new followers or new enemies, and watch as these characters level up when they’re successful. The following gameplay footage showcases a partial fortress assault before the duo ran out of time. This is followed by a Q&A session with Eurogamer’s Johnny Chiodini that goes into the system in a bit more detail.

You’ll finally get to try out the nemesis system for yourself when Middle-earth: Shadow of War is released on October 10th.

Next week, gamers will be able to revisit Mordor in Monolith Productions’ upcoming release Middle-earth: Shadow of War. New trailers revealing murderous tribes have been hitting the web for a month or so and fans of the series seem to love it. Today we get a chance to learn about the Warmonger Tribe, as well as get a live stream from Monolith as well.

In terms of intimidating names, Warmonger might take the cake. Members of this tribe are either always in battle or swimming in the blood of their fallen enemies. Warfare runs deeply in the faction and it clearly shows through their ruthless actions in combat. If you care to study the enemy, take a look at the trailer below.

https://youtu.be/a1nFaQ_BikU

If you’re more in need of actual gameplay, perhaps live stream footage is more up your alley. Luckily, the developer has given fans two hours of Shadow of War for everyone to appreciate. During the stream, Monolith gives us an inside look at legendary gear as well as a refresher for the tribes featured in the base version of the game. Check it out below.

https://youtu.be/XUL8uJjwX5U

Next week, gamers will be able to revisit Mordor in Monolith Productions’ upcoming release Middle-earth: Shadow of War. New trailers revealing murderous tribes have been hitting the web for a month or so and fans of the series seem to love it. Today we get a chance to learn about the Warmonger Tribe, as well as get a live stream from Monolith as well.

In terms of intimidating names, Warmonger might take the cake. Members of this tribe are either always in battle or swimming in the blood of their fallen enemies. Warfare runs deeply in the faction and it clearly shows through their ruthless actions in combat. If you care to study the enemy, take a look at the trailer below.

https://youtu.be/a1nFaQ_BikU

If you’re more in need of actual gameplay, perhaps live stream footage is more up your alley. Luckily, the developer has given fans two hours of Shadow of War for everyone to appreciate. During the stream, Monolith gives us an inside look at legendary gear as well as a refresher for the tribes featured in the base version of the game. Check it out below.

https://youtu.be/XUL8uJjwX5U