MAJOR Paladins Change!

Essence is GONE! This is huge as essence really screwed up playing as different champions. This is very exciting news.

https://www.paladins.com/cardsunbound/

• Essence is gone. Yay!
  • Paladins is even more free to play. All Cards (Basic and Legendary) are now free and immediately unlocked, and can be leveled up by collecting duplicates.
  • In the new over-the-top QuickPlay mode (replacing Casual queue), you can play exactly how you want to play. Just build a loadout of your five favorite Cards — no point limit restrictions.
  • Ranked Mode is now more balanced and competitive than ever before, with all Cards unlocked and set to Level 3.

Why We’re Changing Things

• We’ve been listening to our players. And we’ve learned that different players want different things from Paladins.
  • Some players just want to have fun and do cool things. They want an epic experience that’s even more over-the-top than Paladins is today, unconstrained by the more cumbersome aspects of deckbuilding and point limits.
  • Competitive players want the most balanced, hardcore game possible. And they dislike having to unlock cards before they can play a new Champ in a competitive mode and create their own loadout.
  • We want to make Paladins into a better game for both of these groups.
  • Embrace the Cards. (Because They’re All Yours.)

Essence was confusing for new players… and we really didn’t need four currencies. So we’re removing Essence from the game. (We will refund unspent Essence with Gold on a 1:1 basis.)

• All Basic and all Legendary Cards are now free and immediately unlocked, so you can build the deck of your dreams.
  • Got deckbuilding anxiety? Don’t worry: Each Champion now has three pre-built loadouts so you can easily and immediately experience diverse playstyles.
  • You’ll have even more game-changing decisions to make. One new Legendary Card is being added for every Champion, free.

Opening Card Chests: It’s Actually Fun Now!

• Level up your Basic and Legendary Cards permanently, all the way to the new Level 5, just by playing and opening the many free card chests we’ll be throwing your way.
  • Collect duplicates and watch your Cards level up.
  • Already have a big collection of Cards? Don’t worry, you’ll be able to start leveling those Cards up from Level 3.
1 Like

this is awesome news, to bad no one really plays it anymore

Wow. That is a major change to the game and one that sounds awesome.

I’m really looking forward to playing this again. I hated the essence problem that limited the characters you could play. It just didn’t make sense locking people out of trying new champions.

I even tell that to SuperBadJuJu when we interviewed him on the ReaperCast back in July.

Teaser of the new Champion.

Careful about getting too excited over this. From what I’ve digested from reddit and other sources, the main issue this is really a P2W situation they’ve set up. You’ll either have to endure TONS of time trying to get chests to uprank your cards (level 1 to level 5 are huge differences) or pay out the nose. I’ve honestly moved on to PUBG and will give that my FPS time into the foreseeable future.